In this post I'll show you how to fix an issue with Windows 10 Search disappearing.
While trying to use the Windows 10 Search I noticed that after I entered a few characters the Search Box would crash and clear out the text I had entered. No search results were being displayed.
Upon further investigation I found the following error message logged in the Windows Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.18362.752, time stamp: 0x5e7049d9
Faulting module name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.18362.752, time stamp: 0x5e7049d9
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x000000000016fa94
Faulting process id: 0x3440
Faulting application start time: 0x01d637eba166496b
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
Report Id: fed76f9a-f95a-4c79-837f-8f30fa680496
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_184.108.40.20662_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI
It turns out that the Registry entries for Windows Search had become corrupt during a recent Windows Update.
The solution is to manually delete the corrupt Registry entries. Windows Search will then automatically recreate them.
Here is the step-by-step process:
1. Open the Registry Editor. You can do this by pressing the WIN + R keys, enter text “regedit” and press ENTER to launch the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to Registry entry Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
Tip: copy and paste the above address into the address bar.
3. Backup Registry entries under the “Search” node (via FILE > EXPORT).
4. Delete the “Search” Registry key including all sub-keys. Right click the “Search” key and click DELETE.
5. Use the Windows Search box several times. This will trigger the Windows Search utility to recreate the Registry keys we just deleted.
In my case, after around 5 minutes the Windows Search function started working again yay!
I hope this fix has solved the issue for you. If you find any other solutions that have worked, feel free to post them in the comments below to help others.
- Solved: Set SharePoint Person Field to Null in Power Automate - 16th September 2021
- Visual Studio: Generate Class From JSON String - 17th August 2021
- Visual Studio: Show Current File in Solution Explorer - 29th July 2021