Logs, Logs, Logs!!!
Ever had to parse mounds of IIS web server logs for specific metrics? It can be quite painful and time-consuming!
Log Parser Studio is a fantastic utility designed for this very purpose. It can parse various flat file formats using an SQL like query language.
Some of its features include:
- Ability to parse a variety of log file formats including, W3SVC/IIS, CSV, HTTP etc.
- Query log files using an SQL like query language
- Generate reports
- Generate a PowerShell script containing your query.
Installing Log Parser Studio
- Download and install the Log Parser framework from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/scriptcenter/dd919274.aspx
- Download and run the Log Parser Studio GUI from https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Log-Parser-Studio-cd458765.
In my case, I wanted to obtain a list of distinct users who had accessed my IIS website over a specific time frame.
- Open Log Parser Studio
- Choose the log files you want to query
- Create a NEW QUERY
- Specify the types of log files you have – in my case IIS log files.
- Execute your query
Log Parser is one of the great little utilities that every Microsoft developer should add to their tool bag. Definitely worth a look!
This blog is my place to share my thoughts, helpful solutions and just random nerdy stuff.
Latest posts by Shane Bartholomeusz (see all)
- How To: Backup Synology NAS to Azure Cloud - 11th April 2019
- How To: Create Dynamics 365 Entity Relationship Diagram - 13th March 2019
- Solved: Samsung Wireless Fast Charging Paused - 14th February 2019